Deciding whether to hire a contractor or be your own general contractor is an extremely important decision. Familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of each option before you decide. You may opt for the do-it-yourself route to save money, but don't forget to factor in the value of your time. Hiring a contractor will often get the job done sooner, as many subcontractors give small jobs a lower priority.
• Get several bids, and do not automatically go with the cheapest.
• Make sure the bids include the cost of plan checking and permit issuance.
• Check the status of the Contractor's Bond.
• Verify that they have a current business license.
• Verify that their Worker's compensation policy is current.
• Ask for and check references. *** As always, if you are having trouble finding someone, or have questions to ask please don't hesitate to call us!***